Copy Right

ALL CONTENT ON THIS BLOG IS THE SOLE COPY RIGHT & PROPERTY OF BRIDGET WHITE-KUMAR.
PLEASE NOTE: NO ARTICLES, PHOTOGRAPHS, INFORMATION OR PART THERE OF, of this SITE / PUBLICATION may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electrical, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the owner of this blog as any copying without permission will amount to Plagarism and infringement of Copy Right.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

OLD MAP OF KOLAR GOLD FIELDS

This is an old map of KGF which is displayed in the KGF Club. This will give you an idea of the place in the earlier days


Wednesday, October 15, 2014

THE KGF HOSPITAL – Dr. Maj. T J O’DONNELL




















THE KGF HOSPITAL – Dr. Maj. T J O’DONNELL
The John Taylor and Sons Company with the co-operation of the O’Donnell brothers, Dr Maj. T J O’Donnell and  Dr.J D O’Donnell, established a small hospital to accommodate 48 patients initially in 1887.  It became a well equipped hospital in 1900, to cater to the medical needs and emergencies of the miners and their families. It was centrally located in Champion Reefs. Dr Maj.T J O’Donnell was the first Chief Medical Officer of the Hospital and served as the CMO for more than 25 years. Dr. Maj T J O’Donnell was also a honorary Surgeon Major in the KGF Volunteers.

The hospital was staffed with eminent British and Indian doctors and British and Anglo-Indian nurses. The hospital wards were named after the erstwhile British bosses such as Gideon Ward, Henry’s Ward, Morgan ward, etc.. Medical Treatment was provided free of cost for the miners and their families. A well maintained Maternity Unit was also later established in a separate wing of the Hospital.The Mining Hospital slowly gained the distinction of being the best hospital in the whole of the Kolar district. This Mining Company Hospital was later recognized by the Indian Medical Council as a reputed center for the treatment of Occupational Diseases, such as Tuberculosis, Silicosis, etc.


Today this Hospital with its once expensive equipment and more than 200 beds has been shut. Most of the medical equipment has been stolen. The hospital wards named after the erstwhile British bosses such as Gideon Ward, Henry’s Ward, Morgan ward, etc., are completely denuded of the beds and furniture and the hospital now resembles a haunted building, and is slowly falling down in parts. Its so sad to think that “This Hospital” which was once the best hospital in the whole Kolar District which saved the lives of so many people has now ceased to exist. 

THIS IS AN EXCERPT FROM MY BOOK KOLAR GOLD FIELDS DOWN MEMORY LANE 

Thursday, October 9, 2014

THE KOLAR GOLD FIELDS RIFLE VOLUNTEERS

The Kolar Gold Fields Volunteers which was earlier part of the Bangalore Rifle Volunteers was formed as the Kolar Gold Fields Rifle Volunteers on 23rd January 1903. (In 1905 it came under the Commander-in-Chief in India: formed by G.G.O. 639 of 1903). On 1st April 1917, the Kolar Gold Fields Rifle Volunteers became the 43rd Kolar Gold Fields Battalion. It was  redesignated on 1st October 1920 as the Kolar Gold Fields Battalion.
Here is a small History about The Auxiliary Force (India) (AFI) from where the Kolar Gold Fields Volunteers came into existence.
The Auxiliary Force (India) (AFI) was a part-time, paid volunteer organisation within the Indian Army in British India. Its units were entirely made up of European and Anglo-Indian personnel. The AFI was created by the Auxiliary Force Act 1920[1] to replace the unpopular British section of the Indian Defence Force, which had recruited by conscription. By contrast, the AFI was an all-volunteer force modelled after the British Territorial Army. The Indian parallel to the AFI was the Indian Territorial Force.
 Bangalore Rifle Volunteers unit was an army regiment of the Auxiliary Forces under the British Indian Army. It was a volunteer corps unit that was raised on 31st November 1868 by the British administration in India. The regiment served under the administrative control of the Madras Army of Madras Presidency. On 21st November 1884, a number of detached companies of the unit were used to raise the Coorg and Mysore Rifle Corps.
The headquarters of the Bangalore Rifle Volunteers was established in Bangalore (now Bengaluru) in 1901. The troops wore khaki drill formal dress and the detachments were stationed in Kolar Gold Fields, Mysore and Whitefield. The minor unit of the Bangalore Rifle Volunteers stationed in Kolar Gold Fields was later separated in order to form the Kolar Gold Fields Rifle Volunteers on 23rd January 1903.
The Bangalore Rifle Volunteers battalion was eventually merged with the Coorg and Mysore Rifles on 1st April 1917 and was designated as the 6th Bangalore, Coorg and Mysore Battalion. It was again renamed as the Bangalore Battalion on 1st October 1920.
The Kolar Gold Fields Volunteers which was earlier part of the Bangalore Rifle Volunteers was formed as the Kolar Gold Fields Rifle Volunteers on 23rd January 1903. (In 1905 it came under the Commander-in-Chief in India: formed by G.G.O. 639 of 1903). On 1st April 1917, the Kolar Gold Fields Rifle Volunteers became the 43rd Kolar Gold Fields Battalion. It was  redesignated on 1st October 1920 as the Kolar Gold Fields Battalion.
Motto of the Unit: "Defence not Defiance".
Uniform: Full Khaki. (The uniform of the troops was modified in 1940 to include rifle green formal dress with scarlet facings).
Badge: Crossed pickaxe and hammer in circle superscribed "The Kolar Gold Fields Battn" all surmounted by crown.
The following were the Non-commissioned Officers of the Unit.
1. Honorary Colonel - Richard Hancock ,
2. Lieutenant-Colonel - Thomas Edward Piercey,
3. Commandant Majors - G.A. Paterson , C.H. Richards Captains - E. Jeffery , R.H.P. Bullen , F.J. Tregay , Percy Key , H.M. Leslie , H.T. Hincks , D. Gill Jenkins , J. Johns 4. Lieutenants - G.W. Walker W.R.C. Beudon, T.A. Clarke, N.F.K. Richards, W. Ward, H.M.A. Cooke, G.E. Payne, A.W. Jolly, C.H. Stonor
5. 2nd Lieutenants - J.J. Clarke, R.F. Vaughan, H.H. Osborn, J.S. Anderson, W.C. Vine, R.T.J. Weeks
6. Staff - Adjutant - Capt. F.G. Pierce , 69th Punjabies;
7. Medical Officer - Surgeon,-Maj. T.J. O'Donnell;
8. Hon. Chaplains - Rev. L.G. Pollard, Rev. J.H. Fraysse
9.  Hon. Major - Edgar Taylor
10. Quarter Master - Hon. Lt. G.W. Bickley
11. Surgeon - Lt. J.D. O'Donnell Sergeant-Major -- H.W. Goble
12. Sergt.-Instructors - A. Goldfinch,  L. Taylor, R. Motley
13. 1st Essex, Officiating, Gold Fields Quarter Master Sergeant - D.A. Spence

Source: http://www.indianetzone.com/65/bangalore_rifle_volunteers.htm
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Auxiliary_Force#undefined